Caring for the environment
As well as providing local services to help to keep our communities clean, it is also important that the council plays its part in dealing with the wider environmental issues that confront the planet. We’ve already cut the council’s carbon emissions by 1,800 tonnes per year.
- We have declared a climate emergency, and set a target of 2030 for the council to become carbon neutral. We’ll make all our decisions subject to a view as to whether they help or harm the climate and the council will set out a clear plan to reduce its carbon emissions and help the planet.
- We will ban single use plastics in council offices and other buildings, and work to reduce their use at public events.
- We will ensure more than 11,000 trees are planted, and we have committed that every tree removed by the council should be replaced by three new ones.
- We will develop local renewable energy sources and earmarked £1 million to deliver this.
- We will increase investment in our local parks and green spaces over the next two years, and draw up masterplans for our three country parks so more people can enjoy them in the future.