Over the next few weeks, Labour Councillors in Rotherham will be delivering our latest newsletter across the borough. We’re reporting back to local residents on our work at the Council and throughout the borough – from our extra £10m investment in repairing Rotherham’s roads, to building new council houses for local residents and supporting Yorkshire’s fastest growing local economy. You can read our latest newsletter by clicking on the button below.
By 2020, the Tory Government’s cuts to Rotherham Council will have reached almost £200 million over ten years. That’s nearly £800 of cuts for every man, woman and child in the borough.
The damage the Tories have done has made it even more important to have Labour councillors using our reduced budget to protect the most vulnerable members of our community, invest in jobs and the local environment. We’ve prioritised spending to repair roads, build new council homes, improving services for children in care, and protecting victims of domestic abuse.
In the face of damaging Tory policies in Westminster, we are doing all we can to make our communities stronger and fairer, creating more opportunities for the generations to come.
We’ve secured millions of pounds of outside investment to help to regenerate our town and create local jobs. Over the last year, our work to secure new investment has led to:
- the new £50 million McLaren factory at the Advanced Manufacturing Park
- the new University Centre Rotherham facility in the town centre
- the £12 million refurbishment of Rotherham Interchange
- the UK’s first tram-train service connecting Rotherham and Sheffield
- the building of Gulliver’s new family theme park
- plans to build a new cinema, hotel and restaurants at Forge Island
Read more about the work of Labour Councillors in Rotherham in our latest 2019 newsletter.